THE GILES COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The dining room features the original Federal-style mantle topped by a mirror. A small section of the wall to the right of the mantle reveals the original early 19th-century hand painted decoration.
Several pieces of furniture in the room belonged to the Johnstons, including a large cherry china press dating to the mid-18th century, a walnut pie safe (circa 1850), a sideboard dating to the late 1800s, and a cherry banquet table (circa 1820-40). The table has two half-moon extensions, one of which was made by local cabinet maker Harvey Niday in the 1950s to replace the original. The eight mahogany Empire-style chairs date to the 20th century, and the oriental-style carpet is modern. The lighting fixture is of the period and was installed during restoration.
MAKING HISTORY MATTER.