THE GILES COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
MAKING HISTORY MATTER.
The kitchen was originally built in the basement of the house, a characteristic of simpler Georgian architecture. Because there was no inside stairway from the basement to the first floor, the food had to be taken from the basement through a door to the outside and then back inside to the dining room. Although it has been bricked up, the basement shows evidence of a hearth indicating the original kitchen site.
The adjoining kitchen addition was built in 1857 and modernized in the 1940s. The enclosed porch off the kitchen had served as a breakfast room before that time. A door on the east side of the porch gives access to the meat house.