THE GILES COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
MAKING HISTORY MATTER.
ENTRY HALL & STAIRWAY
The modest entry hall features a Renaissance Revival hall tree (circa 1855), a gift to Dr. Harvey Green Johnston's wife from her father. A walnut table next to the stairway was made by local cabinetmaker Harvey Niday around 1950. The light fixture, circa 1900, was installed during the restoration.
The door under the stairs originally led to a closet but now opens on to the cellar stairs.
The stairway, whose original pine treads were covered with oak in the 1920s, leads to a landing where a bathroom was added in the early 20th century. The bathroom was remodeled in the 1940s and a vanity installed in the 1970s. Another 20th century bathroom on the ground floor was removed during restoration. At the top of the stairs is an unfinished attic, currently used for storage.