THE GILES COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
MAKING HISTORY MATTER.
ABOUT THE GILES COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Giles County Historical Society (GCHS) is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to the preservation of the history of Giles County.
The objectives of the Society are:
In 1985, the Andrew Johnston family heirs deeded the family home built in 1829, a small building built in 1857 which served as a doctor’s office, and a modern two car garage to the Society. The property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and an endowment fund was established to restore and preserve the property as a museum. Construction was completed on the Museum in 1997 to house the many items of historical interest that present and former County residents had donated.
Today, the Society Complex consists of the Museum, Andrew Johnston house, Doctor’s Office, and Research Office (in the old garage).
The extensive collection of the Society includes reference information about the families of Giles County, historical documents, Civil War memorabilia, Meissen porcelain, Johnston family and other period furniture, Native American artifacts, and other items of historical significance to Giles County.